In the early 20th Century the nursery industry in Cheshunt and the Lea Valley was huge, supplying much of London with fruit, vegetables and flowers.
E E Stevens, a large horticultural company, founded Rosedale in 1922 as a Sports and Social Club for its workers.
The sports played were bowls, cricket and football. Archery, Tug of War (Rosedale were European Champions in the early 1970s) and Tennis were later additions.
Ernest Stevens signed over the sports club and grounds to Cheshunt Urban and District Council who then leased the site to Rosedale Old Cestrians Sports Club in 1962.
Prior to that The Old Cestrians Rugby Club, originally founded by the Old Boys of Cheshunt Grammar School during the 1953/54 season, had led a nomadic existence. Matches were played opposite The Crown at Broxbourne, Trinity Marshes at Waltham Cross and the fields opposite The Green Dragon which were accessed via a walk through the graveyard.
The Rugby Club went "open" in 1967.
In the same year Waltham Cross Cricket Club joined with Rosedale Cricket Club and Old Cestrians Cricket Club to form Rosedale and Waltham Cross CC. The title was agreed on the toss of a coin.
The current member Clubs: Rosedale Bowls Club (founded in 1923), Cheshunt Rugby Club and Waltham Cross & Rosedale Cricket Club have gone from strength to strength. The Hertfordshire Harriers Disabilities Cricket Club became members in 2005.
Rosedale Old Cestrians Sports Club now has an overall membership in excess of 500 and continues to be a pivotal point in the Cheshunt and Broxbourne community.
Set in over fourteen acres, the new clubhouse and changing rooms will ensure that Rosedale, once again, offers the best sports and social facilities in the County.